This year for Give 30, I decided to donate to the Zebra Child Protection Centre. This Edmonton-based organization supports children who have experienced abuse. Child abuse includes emotional abuse, neglect, physical abuse, sexual abuse and online exploitation.
The Zebra Centre provides:
- Child Advocacy;
- Forensic Interviews (recorded conversations where the child can tell their story in a safe environment);
- Trauma referral program (connecting children to trusted counselling and trauma support professionals in the community);
- Dogs to provide comfort to the children;
- Backpack Home Program (allowing children to leave their abuser with appropriate clothing and personal items);
- Crisis response;
- Court preparation and court accompaniment.
You can help too!
In 2008, there were 14,403 substantiated cases of child abuse in Alberta. 36% of adults in Alberta have experienced some form of child abuse in their youth. Last year in 2018, the Centre has supported 2,098 kids, an average of 152 per month.
- Volunteering: party planners, administrative volunteers, researchers, child advocates… By giving your time, you will advocate for the rights of children and youth in our community.
- Hosting a fundraiser;
- Purchasing at the centre’s online store;
- Having the Zebra Centre present to your class, community group or office.
Thank you Norm for gifting us this opportunity to give back.